Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Thoroughly Researched Observation of Neal Schon

Seriously, I've given this a lot of thought and consideration. I've spent countless seconds working on this post regarding Journey's guitar virtuoso, Neal Schon. Although, for the sake of this blog, I primarily used three sources:

1. A spot he did for a local radio station in which he lingered a little long and much too hard on the word "rock" as though he was being tough.

2. A copy of Journey's latest release in which the guitar work is a bit more pervasive and heavy than one would want.

3. Watching a Journey concert on Palladia - see #2.

Based on these three sources, I'm willing to state, unequivocally, that Neal wants desperately to be a hard rock guitar hero and not be forever associated with a chick band.

Not that there's anything wrong with a chick band.

Listen, if it weren't for "Don't Stop Believing" I'm pretty sure I would have never achieved second base (and a big lead towards third) with Theresa Crooks back in ninth grade. I suspect had the radio station followed up with "Open Arms" instead of "My Sharona" I might have been looking at home... So, hey, mad props to chick bands like Journey, without them some of us guys would have never had a chance.

Besides, while you've been reading this, Neal's made more money on the royalties from that "na, na, nana" song than most of us will earn in a lifetime. And perhaps that's what you should focus on, Neal. You helped countless young men come close to realizing various illicit fantasies while making what I assume must be a butt load of money. All in all, not a bad legacy, I say.

(In order to preserve my blogging integrity, I feel I must confess that any base running with Theresa Crooks is purely my fanciful, wishful thinking. In fairness, I spent enough time imagining various bases occupied by Theresa that I feel like I do have some basis to make such claims. So please, Theresa, grant me a little poetic license here. Thank you.)

((And, yes, I know, it's a weird subject to continue a blog that's been dormant for quite some time. But you should expect that out of me. As long as I can remember the log in info, this blog is "not dead yet."))

No comments: