Thursday, May 23, 2013

Dan Brown's Inferno

I have to admit, somewhere in the middle of this book I began skipping over the history lessons.  And, frankly, you could guess within the first half dozen chapters (they're short) some of the plot twists - that inkling you get that THIS character might turn out to be a bad guy is probably spot on.

But here's the major issue I have with the book: once the major plot device is fully revealed, I was left with a 'meh' sort of attitude.  The antagonist is guilty of monologue-ing to the extreme: if he really felt that way he'd not risk mucking up his nefarious plans by leaving obscure clues hidden about Florence.  The book doesn't sell the reasons for the historical wild goose chase well at all.  And, frankly, it's a bad thing when your readers actually AGREE with the evil scientist.  If I were Robert Langdon (and I'm not, I don't dress that well) I'd have called off the scavenger hunt just as soon as I figured out what the deal was.  Crazy Evil Scientist is also spot on.

I hope this doesn't make me any more of a sociopath than I already was.

No comments: